Monday, March 2, 2009

Eureka! I did it!

Tonight I filed the name Leslie Creative Learning Cooperative, Inc. with the Arkansas Secretary of State. It was quite easy. Then I decided to check out their form for the "Articles of Incorporation." Low and behold it was a really simple form (how often does that happen in government?)! So, I filed that too. Then I completed the IRS form SS-4 to request our employer identification number. That one pager was also pretty easy since I filled one out about 4 years ago when we hired a nanny for our baby boy. (Funny, both times it has been about my kids!)

I could have faxed in the SS-4 right away, but I need my husband to sign it and he's already gone to bed.

Tomorrow we have our first public information meeting. I'm eager to find out how many people will attend. We posted an add in the Marshall Mountain Wave (our local paper). We also posted flyers around the county.

The idea for this school was born on 6/21/07 at a local Summer Solstice celebration. The four founding families have been meeting monthly ever since. I've played the role as facilitator, including leading the meetings. Laura Daly, the teacher/administrator, and I drafted the strategic plan and the bylaws. Both are still in draft form. We recently elected my husband, Steven Newby, to be the director and Jason Morriss to be treasurer. We have not yet filled the position of secretary, so I am acting in this role. I cannot assume the role permanently because I feel it is a conflict of interest to have two officers in one family. As soon as we expand to include new families we will have a more diverse pool of candidates for the final role.

I'm grateful and excited about how far we have come. The fact that these first 3 forms are completed is a HUGE deal to me. I also got pretty far into the f1023 which is the form to request designation from the IRS as a non-profit organization. The book I've been using as a guide said that the 1023 would take a minimum of 10 hours. At present I think that might be much less. Perhaps it's because we've already gotten so far in the strategic plan and bylaws. Some of the attachments to the form will be copied straight from passages in these two texts.

The book I'm using is great. It's called How to Form a Nonprofit Corporation.

1 comment:

Reverend Rio said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful - you're officially "official."

This school is going to do wonderful and amazing things - can't wait to see it grow and flourish!