Saturday, February 21, 2009

Physics of Leadership

Obama has been President for a month and I already notice a big difference in my own behaviors, attitudes, and opinions. As a federal employee, ultimately I work for Obama (though there are many layers of hierarchy between us). Part of it is that his vision and attitudes resonate with my own sense of values and purpose.

From the standpoint of understanding effective leadership, I feel as if he is a force field of some kind and that I am entraining to the frequency of that force field. My experience of President Bush was more of dissonance. The difference in my experience, however, does not provide empirical evidence that one leader is more effective than the other.

This leads me to consider how important it is for people to agree with their leader. My guess is that I could feel a sort of gravity and the pull to "get in step" with a leader whom I respected, even if I didn't agree with him/her. I'm not sure though. I'll have to think about this some more.

What is it about Obama that strikes such deep hope and trust in me? Why do I become teary eyed every time I see his face? Why do I feel willing to follow him to the ends of the earth? I'm not at all sure.

The force field which I experience him as is no doubt being reinforced and amplified by the 76% of the American population who currently approve of him. Those of us who are filled with hope and are actively appreciating him and praying for him are likely increasing the energy with which he draws upon and projects back to us.

And if you believe modern physics -- time is non-linear -- then perhaps one source of my hope and deep resonance stems from remembering what a resounding success he has already been. Perhaps some of the energy around him comes from countless future generations celebrating his leadership and our victory over major economic, social, and environmental collapse. Maybe...

No comments: