Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Meta-Communication

The saturation of the World Wide Web with infinite volumes of content along with new web-based communication services such as Twitter, FaceBook, MySpace, Blogs, Wikis, etc. have resulted in a whole new order and organization for information and communication.

We have landed at an entirely new level of communication which I think of as Meta-Communication. It is now possible to share a real time connection with hundreds of friends and associates. This new found capacity is transforming the very fabric of society and the rules of socialization.

Entirely new heights of collaboration, coordination, and integration are possible. Technology has fostered a leap in our social consciousness. While younger generations and early adapters value the breadth, speed, and volume of mass communication; late adapters balk at the lack of depth and authenticity and some may never join cybersociety.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My concern about the cyber connections is that people lose the ability to speak to one another.

I suspect communication skills will suffer as we try to cram more and more into a text message or e-mail by using that pesky text language that the teens are so fond of.

Unfortunately, if it is like most trends, and we oldsters will have to adapt or be left in the dust.

L8TR-G8TR

Ria Baeck said...

Hello Toni,
My personal thinking in this regard is that we will need the speed and ease of the younger combined - in real synergy - with the holding and grounding of the older ones... I think we will need this trans-generational creativity.

With love,
Ria

Toni Stafford Newby said...

Ria, thank you for patiently attempting to bring your wisdom and grace into the mix with my naievity and age-centric views!

Cheri, perhaps in this transformation we will both gain and loose communication skills. I can't tell you the last time I hand wrote an actual letter and mailed it with a stamp. Perhaps it was 17-20 years ago. But at the same time, I'm now able to exchange words on a daily basis with people I've not had any connection with in just as many years. Seems like a fair trade to me.